Friday, October 28, 2011

Expressions of Incredulty.

Here's a story.

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in my Government class when a friend came up and started looking at what food I had in my lunch. Mom of course filled it to the point where I couldn't hold it from the top without either ripping it or squishing my one of my two sandwiches.

I sat there listening to her comments about how much food I have and how I have so much food. "Ya, my mom packs my lunches, she thinks I'm too skinny." I try to explain to her so she can have another thought go through her head besides how much I eat.

That's when she let's out her expression of incredulty. "Jesus!" She says in a surprised voice.

I hadn't really understood what she said and because of the surprise in her voice I thought she had found something new. So of course my mind found a word that matched the syllables and fit the situation. I didn't really like what I thought she said so I quickly pulled the bag from her and started rifling through my lunch looking for the awful item.

In a shocked and questioning tone I repeated what she said. "Cheeze-its?"

That awkward moment when now is not the time to repeat the swear to the angry girl from Provo looking for Cheeze-its in her lunch. "No, um. I said..." She tried to explain. After a second she gave up and went back to her seat just as I realized I had misheard her.

"Oh." I thought to myself. "Well that was awkward. I can't wait to tell mom."

4 comments: